Skip to Primary Content

Hayes Veterinary Hospital & Entrance Road Veterinary Clinic

Dog Laying on an Orange Suitcase

Animal Transport Information

Pet Travel

If you are traveling with an animal across state or country borders, they require a health certificate that matches your destination’s animal import requirements. At Hayes Veterinary Hospital and Entrance Road Veterinary Clinic, all of our veterinarians are USDA accredited and can issue domestic and international health certificates for pets and large animals. ERVC in Leesville is especially experienced in international animal transport.

Knowing the Requirements for Travel

Traveling with your pet or large animal demands a lot of preparation, but we’re here to help. Here is some guidance on how to obtain the correct health certificate for your pet or large animal:

Research your destination state or country’s requirements for animal import.

A great place to start is the APHIS pet travel website for domestic travel or your destination country’s embassy for international travel. While many of the continental United States have similar requirements, Hawaii and Alaska have more unique regulations.

Additionally, each country will also have a specific set of health requirements that the animal must meet before they are allowed to enter the country.

Begin the process of obtaining a health certificate well in advance of your trip.

Different countries have varying timelines for when you need to complete certain requirements such as vaccinations, physical exams, blood tests, etc. The sooner you start researching and informing us of your plans, the better!

Let us know as soon as possible about your travel plans and what the requirements are for the health certificate.

Some countries have tight timelines such as obtaining an international health certificate within 10 days of travel.

We’ll work with you within the required time frame to make sure you get the health certificate just right.

Keep in mind that some international health certificates will also require endorsement from the USDA.

If this is the case, you’ll need to mail the health certificate to the APHIS VS Service Center in Flowood, Mississippi.

Be sure to also include your pet’s rabies vaccination certificate, import permit and test results (if required by your destination country), payment for endorsement, and a return shipping label.

More information can be found here.

Check with your airline for their animal transport requirements.

Once you have your pet’s health certificate and its endorsement (if needed) it’s important to check with the airline you’re using for their animal transport regulations.

Furthermore, if you’re traveling by rail or by sea, check with the railroad company or cruise line! The airline, rail line or cruise ship may have specific regulations beyond the health certificate that need to be met before your pet is allowed to board.

Finally, for pet travel by car, it’s important to ensure your pet or large animal is properly secured in your car or trailer, and that you take breaks as needed. 

Dog in car with tongue out

Rely On Our Expertise

Traveling with your pet or large animal can be a complicated process, but we’re here to make it easy.

All our vets are well-versed in USDA-regulated animal transport across state lines and to other countries.

So, whether you’re being stationed overseas, moving to a different state, or simply going for a vacation, we can help you get the right health certificate for a smooth pet travel experience.

Contact us at Entrance Road Veterinary Clinic today at (337) 537-2454 for our expertise in animal transport services!

Visit Entrance Road Veterinary Clinic